Getting Wild with the Weta Bug!Jan 11th, 2012 • Category: Animals
By Kid Reporter IRATI EGORHO, age 9
Wetas are among the biggest insects in the world! Their bodies measure up to four inches, not including their legs. There are five kinds of wetas: tree wetas, tusked wetas, cave wetas, ground wetas and most gross of all, the giant weta, also known as “Wetapunga”, meaning lumpy weta in Maori. Did you know that wetas have been around since the time of dinosaurs?
- Wetas live on islands off the coast of New Zealand and they cannot fly.
- However, cave wetas jump up to six feet and can live up to seven years!
- Giant wetas cannot jump because they are too heavy.
- Wetas come out at night and are hunted by another nocturnal creature, the Morepork owl.
- The Maori people are native to New Zealand and also call the giant weta the “god of ugly things.”
What new ideas does the article discuss? What did you learn that you did not know before? Why is this article interesting? How does this article make you feel? REMINDER: Please use complete sentences to clarify your ideas!