Writing a News or Science Brief
A news brief is a short article (50-75 words) describing a recent event or new discovery.
1. News Brief Topic Brainstorming
- Pick a recent social or political issue that more people should know about.
- Pick a science or environmental issue that more people should know about.
2. Body Paragraph
- Lead Sentence: Write a sentence that grabs the reader.
- Who/What?: Describe who or what is affected by the incident/event.
- When? Describe the date or time the event happened/will happen
- Impact? Why is this event/issue important? How will the event impact the reader?
3. Headline and Word Count
- Write a headline that catches the reader’s attention.
- Check to see if your article is 50-75 words.
- Try different ways of wording your sentences to clarify the story.
- Check your spelling.
- Visit the IndyKids Submissions Page for instructions on submitting your article.